Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Brought to Tears

So I'm supposed to be editing/writing a paper, but this is more important. Don't look at the time stamp Drex!

Drex and I were doing our scripture study tonight which, because of vacations and the fact that we no longer live in the same complex, hasn't been as regular as we would like it to be. We're kind of behind, but this is one time when I find myself extremely grateful for the fact that we haven't been as diligent as we should be. We were reading in Jacob 6 and I found myself overcome by emotion, to the point where I couldn't speak, as we read part of the chapter. Now, you must understand that I have only been brought to tears one other time while reading the scriptures and that was right after Drex and I started dating. The verses we read are as follows

4 And how merciful is our God unto us, for he remembereth the house of Israel, both roots and branches; and he stretches forth his hands unto them all the day long; and they are a stiffnecked and a gainsaying people; but as many as will not harden their hearts shall be saved in the kingdom of God.
5 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness that ye would repent, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts.
6 Yea, today, if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts; for why will ye die?

I was touched so deeply by the part that says, "he stretches forth his hand unto them all the day long." Sometimes we are so blinded by the troubles we face that we fail to recognize the fact that we don't have to do everything alone. Someone else is there to take our burden and make the way easier for us.


We went to the Matis FHE last night and Brother Millet talked about the fact that the Lord cares for us enough to take on our burden, all we have to do is let go and let Him take over. Much easier said than done, I know. I've struggled lately with the idea that I don't have to take everything on myself; I can let others help me and I
have to let others help me if I'm going to get anywhere--not just in the long run, but in the short run as well. God truly has, and does, stretch His hands out to every one of us...we just have to be willing to look up long enough to realize it.

Ok, I don't think there's much else I can say right now that will even remotely make sense, so off to paper land with me...

1 comment:

Sean said...

I've got a great quote for you from President Benson (I think it is him). I'm not at my apartment, but when I get there I'll either email it to you or post it here.

Love ya!
Gimple