Sunday, March 25, 2007

Musings

So my parents are in town for a week and I'm really excited that they're here. Drex mentioned most of what happened yesterday so I won't bore you with a repeat of the story...except to mention that my dad and I played catch for a bit, which was uber fun. I'm a softball fanatic and Drex hasn't learned to appreciate the goodness of the sport so he won't play with me (it might also have something to do with the fact that he doesn't own a mit, but we're not going to talk about that).

My parents have met Drex before, but it wasn't under the bf/gf context so I was interested to hear their impressions after spending some time with us. I texted my dad to thank him for taking us to lunch at Shoots (soooooo good, yum) yesterday and he texted me this morning to say that he got my text. My dad isn't the most text-savvy person in the world so he ended up calling me and we talked for a half an hour. He said that he and my mom are impressed with how Drex treats me and that they're happy that I'm happy. He then proceeded to tell me that he's never seen me so happy, which I guess is a good thing. Since Drex and I have talked about the possibility of getting married I asked my dad what he thought of that scenario and he said, "As long as you're happy it doesn't matter what we think. We trust your judgment and we know that you won't make an eternal decision that will make you unhappy. Your mother and I like Drex a lot and I don't forsee any major problems. Your sister is the more judgmental one, but let's be honest, what does she know?" I laughed at the last statement because it's so true. My sister refuses to have a good opinion of any of my friends. I love her, but she can be the biggest punk sometimes.

After I hung up with my dad I got to thinking about life and how things have really fallen into place for me and us over the past few months. I reflected on something else my dad said, "Heavenly Father opens doors for you when you're headed in the right direction. Make sure that when those doors open you step through them. They won't be open forever and you need to take advantage of it." God really has opened a lot of doors for me recently and I've tried to step through every one of them no matter how scared I am for what's on the other side. It takes a lot of faith and I often feel like I'm unprepared and unable to handle whatever will come next but so far I've been really blessed and haven't been challenged above that which I could bear. I know that life won't always be easy--believe me, I've had my fair share of sucky moments--but I know that everything will turn out for my good and the good of those around me.

Alright, I really need to go write a paper for my Chinese history class...I've put it off for far too long. I promise to continue the "Drex and Salad Saga" sometime soon, I just have to find the time to sit down and write the rest of it.

S.

No comments: